MOE announced in a press statement that a student from VJC tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday, 7 May. This is the second case in a week of students who tested positive for COVID-19. It is currently an unlinked case.
The student was last in school on Wednesday, 5 May. She developed Acute Respiratory Infection symptoms later that day, and consulted a doctor on 6 May.
95 students and 8 staff who had been in close contact with the student have been placed on Quarantine Order. They will be swabbed for COVID-19 while on quarantine.
Given that this is currently an unlinked case, all other students, staff, vendors and visitors of the school are required by the MOH to undergo COVID-19 tests. About 2,200 of them will be seabbed by 10 May.
The school premises have been thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
MOE said it will continue to monitor the situation closely, and work with the school and parents to ensure the well-being of staff and students.
“With the increase in the number of local cases over the past week, we urge all students and staff to continue practising good personal hygiene and adhering to Safe Management Measures. This includes wearing masks, washing hands frequently, wiping down equipment and tables, seeing a doctor if they are sick and returning to school only when fully recovered,” MOE said.
On April 30, a student from Edgefield Secondary School also tested positive for COVID-19. Students, staff and external vendors who had been in close contact with the student were also placed on Quarantine Order and swabbed for COVID-19. As a precautionary measure, all other students, staff and external vendors of the school were also swabbed for COVID-19. All who had taken the swab tests have tested negative for COVID-19. Those who are on Quarantine Order have also tested negative for their swab test.